Sunday, August 5, 2007

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail


$54.99


Pros: It is a half-way decent router.
Cons: The earlier versions of this model were good, but the newer ones are gutted; they don't have much memory, and a they have a cheaper processor.
Other Thoughts: If you want a good router, look to the WRT54GL rather than this. It has more memory, and is all-around better. You would also do well to install DD-WRT on it.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

WRT54G Changes .....

Reviewed By: SteveTheComputerGuy on 8/2/2007
Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4
Tech Level: high - Ownership: more than 1 year
Pros: I've ordered dozens of this router, as well as WRT54GL, for my installs.This router seems to fit various enviroments. It has rubber feet so it can be put a desk and not slide around. There is also a wall mount bracket that is easy to install but the bracket must be purchased in packs of ten. The antenna's are removable and have a signal strength of 5dbi gain. The web interface is good.
Cons: The last WRT54G i just installed didn't have removable antenna's. I may never buy/resell this router again because of this. The wall mount bracket is sold seperatley. The bracket is included with the WAP54G but not the WRT54G
Other Thoughts: The stackable feature is neat. Most equipment that can be stacked doesn't stay locked in place.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

Great Piece of Hardware

Reviewed By: Chet on 7/31/2007
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
Pros: I've had this device for almost a year now, I got it to manage the computers in my dorm room, and it handled my PC, my laptop, my Wii, and my DS, as well as a friends Laptop and 3 guys down the hall admirably. Range was better than expected, considering the walls in the building, and the UI was easy for me to grasp.
Cons: this is more on me, but had I know, I would've picked a model with a better processor and memory, so I could put linux-based firmware on it and have the features of a $600 router on a sub-$100 device

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Twitter Bird Gadget